What are headings and how to add them
Here's the tutorial video on how to add heading tags:
What are heading tags?
Heading tags, as their name suggests, are used to differentiate the heading of a page from the rest of the content. The most important heading tag is the h1 tag and least important is the h6 tag.
In HTML coding, the header tags from h1 to h6 form a hierarchy. This means that if you skip any of the tag numbers the heading structure will be broken. This is not ideal for on-page SEO.
For example, if your site is introduced with a heading in h1, and a sub-heading in h3, the hierarchy will be broken, meaning the heading structure is not SEO-friendly.
The coding should be similar to what is shown below:
<h2>Secondary Heading 1</h2>
<h3>Sub-section of the secondary heading 1</h3>
<h2>Secondary Heading 2</h2>
<h3>Sub-section of the secondary heading 2</h3>
How do heading tags help with SEO?
The heading tag is used to represent different sections of web page content. It has an impact on both the SEO and usability of your site in the following areas:
- A clear idea - Heading tags give the user a much better understanding of what the page content is about.
- Content relevancy - Search engine crawlers scan and mark the relevancy of the header tag with the content associated with it.
- Keyword consistency - The search engine crawlers review the keyword consistency by comparing the header tags and other parts of the page.
- The importance of an h1 tag - The h1 tag is the most important tag and it should never be skipped on a page. Search engine crawlers pay attention to the words used in the h1 tag as it should contain a basic description of the page content.
How to add heading tags using HQi
1. Click on "Add/Edit Pages" under "Content Manager," whether you want to add a new page or edit an existing page.
2. Select the page you want to have your heading tags.
3. Type in the text or title on the edit box and highlight the text. Under the "Formats" drop down, go to "Headings" and select the applicable heading tag.
4. Your text or title would appear as in the example below.
5. Hit the "Save" button at the top of the page to save your changes.